Sunday, February 17, 2008

Up early...

Mom got up at 5am this morning-it was still dark!!! And at 5:40 we were out the door, in the dark, for mom's long run. We ended up running 8.5 miles. I'm now going to have my breakfast and nap before going out to herd sheep. At 10am we left the house to go sheep herding. This is a busy day for me. We got there at 11am and they had to separate some sheep, so mom and I were asked if we could pull the sheep out of the pen-mom said we'll try. So we went and tried to take 5 sheep out but all 11 followed and raced away-the on alert border collies had to pull them back in. We got our 5 sheep and started herding-mom was told she had to start working my flanks with only verbal commands and try not to use the stick. She did but she kept telling me to get out-so I got out and headed to the car-mom wasn't too happy! She said something about stubborn cattle dogs and Terry, our instructor, agreed. So mom and I went back out (Terry had said to mom that if I did that again she was to hook me to the fence and take a border collie out to herd while I was watching) well I ran off again-so mom hooked my leash to the fence and took a border collie named River out to herd. I didn't like that!!! How dare mom herd with another dog!!! Mom came back and got me-and I worked great for her!!! I did my awee's and go byes beautifully-Terry says I need to really sit on a dime when moms says sit-so I guess mom and I will be practicing that. I do sit, but it's a few steps after she says it. My Beauceron friend, Virgil, was there with his sister Brandy. I had never met Brandy-I know her litter mate Bindy, we've gone to the same herding trials together. It was a fun day! I was very sleepy when I got back in the car!!! I hope the rest of the day is quiet!!

BubbleShare: Share photos - Green Toys

2 comments:

Noah the Airedale said...

Wow what a day you had. That herding class sounds very difficult. You did great in the end Velcro. We think you're pretty good!!

Hugs and tail wags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy

Pacco de Mongrel said...

that's a good strategy....my owner use that too...

when my mind start to stray away n out of focus, she will tie me at the corner n walk away....she let me bark like a mad dog for sometime...n later when she came back, i will respond better than b4...