Saturday, July 5, 2008

Vaca Valley Stockdog Herding Trial Vacaville, CA




Mom woke me up super early this morning! 4:30am. I thought, is mom working today? But she wasn't because I got in the car with her and her young bi-ped. We drove far! 6 1/2 hours in the car today and arrived at a new herding site that i had never been to or seen. We got here around 12:15 and we waited and waited. It was SUPER hot! Mom would occasionally put the car ac on, but she had shade up in the car, all the doors open and we waited for wind! Finally, around 3pm, the Started class began. my number was 307, which meant I went 7th out of 15 dogs. I was the only Cattle Dog in the Trial! It was primarily border collies and Australian shepherds. I think my mom was very nervous when we went in! The sheep were being pretty light and alot of dogs before me were having a hard time! Mom really wanted us to do a nice run since we drove so far! I followed mom into the arena off leash and she set me at my cone. mom walked forward to her cone and the sheep were set out. The first set of sheep darted half way up the arena, so mom asked for new sheep! And we got new sheep. When we were ready, mom sent me on my outrun-she said get back and awee and I was off, running wide in a trail for the first time ever! I think mom was kinda happy! I was behind the sheep now (I did bark a couple of times on the outrun but stopped after that!) Mom and the sheep rounded the cone and headed for the Y chute-I balanced nicely and the sheep went thru, then we headed to the z chute and once again mom and i were in the right position. The next obstacle was the runway panel-the sheep walk between the panel and the fence and mom and I are on the outside of it. The sheep were good and went thru. Now was the hard part. The sheep usually dart for the re-pen gate after the runway panel-but not with us. We walked down to the number 4 and turned to walk across the field thru the two panels and then we headed for the number 5 on the fence. You have to get within 12 feet of the two numbers and we did!! All that was left was a hold at the re-pen gate and the re-pen! I held the sheep while mom fumbled with the gate-silly mom! But the sheep went in and we were DONE! Mom was so excited! She kept saying what a good girl I was and giving me my good girl pats! We got to the gate, put my leash on and walked out! FINISHED! And everyone was clapping! Alot of people came up to mom and said what a great run we had! Mom was beaming! I was tired! Mom knew we had qualified-she could just feel it, but had no idea what was to come! After everyone had run, we had the awards ceremony! They handed out the qualifiers first and then moved onto the places, hey called out 5th place-not me, 4th place-not me, 3rd place-not me, by this time mom was beginning to lose her cookies! She said to her young bi-ped, "could she possibly have placed 2nd?" and then they called out 2nd place-"the ACD #307"...hey that's me!!!! Woo Hoo!!! The judge said we had a great run and that my mom had a great dog!!! Of course I'm a great dog! A cattle Dog takes 2nd place in a Trial in Northern California!!!! Woo Hoo! Mom and the young bi-ped took pics at the trial while we were working the sheep but mom will have to wait to upload those when we get back home-but mom really wanted to show my ribbons off! Aren't moms silly??

10 comments:

Baby Love said...

That is an awesome ribbon, you look so proud. I know your mom must be over the moon too! Way to go.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Velcro!
I was sure you were going to do a great job!
Congratulations!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

River said...

Hi Velcro,
That is so exciting--congratulations on such a great run. The description was so interesting--I never knew all this stuff went on. Woohooarooo for you!!

love & wags,
River

Maggie & Mitch said...

whooooooooohoooooooooooooo!
Can you hear the applause coming from our house?! Congratulations, Velcro! GREAT job!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Furry khool!

I wish I khould learn to herd BUT i khan't NOT be on my leash and/or tieout -

Bummer!!

Khongrats to woo!!!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Thanks fur visiting The OP Pakhk too!

Chris & Mackenzie said...

Wow! Many, many congrats!

Chris & Mackenzie

Deefor said...

Good job Velcro. My mom read some books by Jon Katz about his dogs and herding. Sound really difficult. You must be very smart.

Deefor

Toffee said...

Congratulations!!!

great job!

Pacco de Mongrel said...

VELCRO!!! we are so happy for u and especially ur mum...

u showed them that a cattle dog can kick butts too...

i know u gonna grab that blue ribbon in no time...

keep up the good work...we are so proud of u

Charlie Daniels said...

G'day Velcro

Great stuff - you should be so proud of yourself,and Mom deserves a pat too! ;-)

I am so proud of you.

Cheers

Charlie