Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The German Shepherd Fanciers Club of Northern California AKC Herding Trial Aug 9-10 2008 Vacaville, CA








Mom and I arrived in Dixon California really late on friday or early saturday-2am. We drove 7 1/2 hours from LA. Of course we stopped a few times so I could use the little girls room and so mom could get us dinner and a midnight snack! Dinner was 2 Wendy's hamburgers and snack was sausage from Denny's! When we got to the hotel, mom and I crashed in our King sized bed! mom set the alarm for 9am-knowing that we didn't have to be at the trial site until about noon for the Started runs. When we woke up on saturday, mom took me for a run around Dixon. We ran about 3.25 miles-I got to meet a few dogs on my run! Then we headed to the herding trial. Mom set up our shady area! We needed shade because it was sunny and warm! Luckily the breeze was blowing. The field where we park is LOADED with clover and bees!! Mom and I were constantly dodging the bees. The last time we were here mom got stung-and guess what? I got stung on saturday! Right before we went in for our run! I was crying, my left paw hurt! Mom couldn't find the stinger-she put ice on it and then we had to go into the arena. We started our run, I was holding my paw up a bit but I was there to herd my sheep. SIlly mom missed the Y chute-she says it was because of my bee sting! I think she had a brain fart-but mom didn't realize she missed the y chute until they were handing out the awards after all the runs! When we got to the re-pen area, I had had just about enough! My paw was hurting-I left my sheep and went right up to mom and barked at her!!! I wanted to be done. So mom and I put the sheep in the pen and once we were out we went to the trial desk and found the stinger and put benadryl gel on my paw! Mom then took me back to the car and iced my paw, again! Needless to say, we didn't qualify! Oh well...mom and I went back to the hotel, snuggled in bed, watched the olympics and ate dinner and went to bed! On sunday, mom woke up a bit earlier and we went on a 2.5 mile run before heading out to the trial site. We had to check out of the hotel so we go to the trial site earlier than the day before. Mom took extra precautions today to steer away from the BEES! Silly bees! We waited until about 2pm and we started our run! Our judge was from Arizona-and wished us luck as we went in! Mom and I completed the run-I controlled those sheep and we made it around the course! I even had the best re-pen of all the dogs! mom held the gate open and I held the sheep! After all the runs, mom went to look at the pictures that had been taken while they were handing out the awards! Mom wasn't paying attention as they worked their way from 4th place, 3rd place and then 2nd place-dog #310 Australian Cattle Dog-mom said "what?" and walked up to get my 2nd place ribbon and qualifying ribbon! Mom was SO shocked and surprised! She had no idea our run was so good! That means I titled in Started Course A Sheep! I now move onto intermediate!!! Mom and I left almost immediately after the awards-we had a 7 1/2 hour drive back to LA! Mom was SO EXCITED!!!! We had such a good time on sunday! I was 2nd out of about 11 dogs! And some of them were Border Collies and Aussie Shepherds! Pretty impressive!!! Now we start work on the intermediate course A and Started Course B! Mom and I will be busy!

12 comments:

Noah the Airedale said...

OMG Velcro congratulations...how good is that!!! You must be so proud to be an Aussie lol.
I bet your mum is still beaming!!!!

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy

Charlie Daniels said...

G'day Velcro

CONGRATULATIONS :-) Has Mum stopped smiling yet?

You really earned your rewards by battling on like a true digger after that bee sting!

I'm so proud of you.

Cheers

Charlie

Hero said...

Way to go, Velcro!!!! I always knew you'd blow those judges away!

Pacco de Mongrel said...

VELCRO!!! i wanna give u a BIG KISS!!

7 1/2 hour drive was such a loooong distance...but everything is worth it ofcoz...

sorry to hear about your hurting paw... maybe next time someone shld get hold of a 'bee repellant'... is there such a thing?

anyway.... congratulation boy!!

Chef said...

Way to go, Velcro! You and your Mama must be so proud and happy.You're a real trooper and a great herder !

xox
Chef

Sparky said...

Velcro!

Oh no, you got a bee sting? That's too bad, I'm sure it didn't help at all in your first run!

But man, you're second run, CONGRATULATIONS! I always knew you had it in ya! Second place, that's GRRRReat! I'm sure you and your human Mom are very excited about that!

Sparky

Maggie and Mitch said...

OMG, Velcro! Congratulations! We are so happy for you!
Bummer about the bee sting!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

River said...

congratulations! Even with a bee sting--you did a great job!

love & wags,
River

powder-puff said...

ARRROOO VELCRO congrats :)

lots of love
puff

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We are so proud of you. We knew you could do. You are our Heeler Hero..
Hey we just met another heeler on the blogs yesterday. Cell Bell she calls herself. She is a deaf blue heeler..
We linked her to our blog. Check out her puppy pictures she had those huge ears too..
Congrads again..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

The Cole Crew said...

Wow 2nd place, thats great! You looked tired coming home on Sunday but the road snacks were good! Your awesome Velcro and the judges know it!

Kathryn and Ari said...

Big congrats, Velcro! You and your mom make one heck of a team, and we're super proud of you both.

What a great weekend you had, and we loved looking at all the photos (Ari was especially excited about the ones featuring hamburgers and sausages). Way to go!!