Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mommy is disgusted!

Mommy has been on the Best Friends website and the Humane Society of the US website..... the Best friends website said that as many as 50% of the evacuees of Hurricane Ike left/abandoned their pets after the numerous warnings that if anyone stayed they would die! Many animals have been saved by rescuers but many have been found DEAD because people didn't take their animals with them!!! Mom and I don't understand why ANYONE would do this!! Especially since new legislation had been passed after Katrina in New Orleans because so many people wouldn't leave without their pets or had left their pets.....why would people leave their pets when they were allowed to take them!!??? WHY? 

6 comments:

Sparky said...

Velcro!

Ugh... Some people just disgust me. That's horrible! I don't understand why so many people don't want their pets...

Sparky

barrie said...

I often read Velcro's blog (I have a year old blue ACD) but I don't believe I have ever felt the need to comment before. This is just horrifying!

Southbay Girl said...

Yes it is horrifying! The people that left their animals should be held responsible!!! I thought the human spirit was so much better than this! But finding out such statistics really has angered me!!!

Maggie and Mitch said...

This is just horrible! Hoomans can sure be stoopid!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Chris and Mackenzie said...

I feel the same way. I find it very, very sad that, at a time when their four legged friends needed their owners/humans the most, they were abandoned (same goes for 'foreclosure pets'...horrible that there's even a term to describe it). Have they no soul...no compassion...no heart? Maybe their is a valid response to your question, 'why'...all I know is I haven't heard one yet.

Well, on the flip side, I'm happy to know that most folks are good, most do the right thing. Case in point, here's a link to nearly a hundred 'second chance' pups that were to be euthanized this weekend if they were not adopted:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MCASTreasures/MCASSecondChanceDogs#

All were adopted! Can you believe it! I know not every story like this has a happy ending, however, I feel better knowing that these animals will be safe.

chasingsquirrelswithrusty said...

It makes me and mom sooo mad! I don't understand how anyone could just go off under those circumstances and leave their pets.