Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday at the park

I had a nice time at the park today and I had a "guest"-my doggie neighbor Zoey. Mom isn't too happy with Zoey's situation! She doesn't get hooman or doggie socialization, she had been living in a small enclosure in her backyard and occasionally tied up in the small enclosure until mommy told the family it was illegal to tie her up. Then Zoey kinda disappeared....but she reappeared today while I was heading to the park:

As Velcro and I were leaving for the park, a young teenage girl had let Zoey out of the house and was watching her from the front door. The wrought iron gates were closed, but when Zoey saw Velcro, she squeezed thru the bars to get to her. I tried grabbing her collar but she was too quick and took off. I was able to catch her at the corner of Leland and 11th. She clearly has no street smarts!When I brought Zoey back, I tried questioning the girl about Zoey's care. The girl was very shy and mumbled so much that it was difficult to understand her. She said the dog belonged to her sister. I asked where Zoey slept. She said she "stayed" with her sister and something about it being illegal to tie her up out back. I said yes it is illegal and Zoey should be kept indoors with the family. I also told her I thought Zoey was too thin and asked if she was fed regularly. She said her sister feeds her all the time. I told her that it is apparent that Zoey needs to be walked and taken to parks to be socialized with other people and dogs. I then offered to take her to the park with Velcro--if it was OK with her sister. I had hoped to speak with the sister but she was not at home. The girl tried reaching her by phone, got no response but thought it would be OK to take Zoey.Zoey was so happy to be at the park and Velcro was so patient. Zoey did not know how to get into my vehicle or how to walk on leash/harness. It was incredible! She would leap up in the air, her body twisting and pulling until I was finally able to gain a small measure of control.When I brought Zoey back, a young boy came to the door to take Zoey. After thanking me, I asked him to let his sister know that I would like to talk to her about Zoey. He just smiled and closed the door

Well...hopefully I'll see Zoey again! Zoey needs to learn the doggie ropes from me!
Sent via Penny's BlackBerry

4 comments:

Lorenza said...

Hi, Velcro!
It is very sad to know about Zoey's situation! I hope something can be done to improve her life!
Sure she was happy to be with you!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

NESSA the hovawart said...

Hi, Velcro,

you are so nice to worry about Zoey...I realy hope that something can be done for her.
Kisses and hugs,
Nessa

Tom and Tama-Chan said...

Sadly, there are too many such stories all over the world. It's wonderful that you were able to give Zoey a little fun and caring, and we hope you can do it again.

Owner of Storm and Jackal said...

Poor Zoey! I'm glad she had a fun day at the park with you.