Sunday, July 19, 2009

I saw sheep!!






Mom woke up darn early this morning! She started putting on her running stuff after she fed the kitties so I knew we were going on a run! I was hoping that it wasn't too hot-because it's been really hot here in southern California! We ran our normal 3 miler. She gave me breakfast and then she started getting ready to go somewhere....and she was getting my stuff ready, my HERDING stuff! Woo Hoo, I was going to see my sheep! it's been a few weeks since I've been sheep herding! Mom's work schedule hasn't been conducive to sheep herding. We had a 10:30 training session with Steve....when we got out to Phelan at 10am, it was already 90 degrees out! Mom knew it was going to be a scorcher! And it was!

The sheep arena doesn't have alot of shade! And the dirt gets hot...so I'd go out there and I'd look for shade along the fence line and pick up my paws! mom knew I was getting hot so she put me in the water tub after my first session! I'm not a big fan of the water tub-but today i was!! After some other sessions, I jumped in by myself!!

We worked on ranch skills today-sorting sheep thru gates etc...and then on my outruns and driving. My outruns are still a little too tight. but once mom stops working on GLEE, she'll have more time to take me training so that I can improve!

Steve said I did a really good job! He thought I really enjoyed sorting sheep! I'd just walk into the pen, go around the sheep and bring them out for mom. Mom is really the one who needs more training! She needs to improve her handling skills!

We left around 12:50pm. I was one tired cattle dog! I had a great day! I got to sheep herd and hang out with Sage, who is Steve's cattle dog! She's really nice and we get along!! She didn't like the sun and heat either today!

5 comments:

Josie said...

Wow...glad to hear you worked the sheep today, Velcro! I bet it was FUN!! I'm happy to hear you were careful in the heat and took some skinny dips to cool off! Hey...who is that blue heeler/ Your boyfriend?? Love, Josie..the ACD in Duluth MN

tula said...

Velcro- if it were moi, i would have been submerged in the tub with no return! you're one fit & tough pup--
at least your mom made it up to ya with a special day:)

stay cool-
tula

Bruce said...

Summertime heat...what are you going to do about it? Maybe next time your lesson can be at 11pm! Herding in the dark, that might be fun!
your cat pal,
Bruce:)

Raising Addie said...

Great Job Velcro!!!

It looks like you had fun in the pool too!

Stay cool!

Chasing my tale...
Addie, Lucie, and Hailey

NORWOOD UNLEASHED said...

Velcro... Great job sheep herding and more importantly herding mom to the ranch! A hot tub... most people cherish one.. not in the desert.
Sage is one cute blue? Can I get her number?
NOrwood