Sunday, July 4, 2010

What's in a Name???




Happy 4th of July to all of my fellow American doggies!! I'm playing Frankie Furter's Name Game for the 4th of July. And I cant wait to tell you how I got my name...

My mom had never had a cattle dog before she got me! As a matter of fact, she rescued me on my u-then-asia day, whatever that means, when I was just a little pipsqueak of a 4 month old cattle dog! Mom hadn't planned on pulling me out of the shelter that day, she didn't have anything doggie in her car or house! But she said she couldn't leave me in the isolation room...so I went home with her that day. And I vowed to NEVER LEAVE HER SIDE!

When we got back to her house, I wouldn't let her out of my sight! She went to the kitchen, I went to the kitchen and stood right behind her. She went to the bathroom, I went to the bathroom and sat right beside her. She went to bed, I went to bed with her. I followed my Mom, or as she was calling herself, my Foster Mom EVERYWHERE and I made a point of being right underneath her feet!!

After a week, Mom realized I wasn't going to be a foster anymore (I guess staying near her all the time paid off!) so she decided to keep me! Now she had to come up with a name. She said she's had a Scottish name picked out and ready for a doggie-but it didn't suit my personality. So she was talking to her human brudder one day and he said "why don't you call her Velcro because she's glued to your side all the time..." Well Mom really liked the name and it stuck! I became Velcro.

We later found out, reading some Cattle Dog books, that the breed is sometimes called "the Velcro Dogs"...he he very appropriate name I have!!

Happy 4th of July!!!

Woof!!!

Velcro

11 comments:

Sam said...

It is a great name!

Sam

giantspeckledchihuahua said...

Velcro is a much better name that say, paste or gluey or welded. Good job, mom!

bbes tribe said...

Great name Velcro. Good Job picking that name.
Tailwags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica
PeeEss: Mom took care of a friends Cattle Dog & it was like that. At first she thought something was wrong with it & then she found out Remy was "herding" her.

Bruce said...

Very cool story Velcro and you've got a FABULOUS name! Happy 4th of July!
your cat pal,
Bruce:)

Dennis the Vizsla said...

hello velcro its dennis the vizsla dog hay we hav a lot in common vizsla dogs are velcro dogs too!!! ha ha ok bye

Maggie and Mitch said...

What a great story and it is the most perfect name for you, Velcro!
Happy 4th of July to you and your mom!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Lorenza said...

Velcro!
I love your name!
Thanks for sharing the story!
Happy Independence Day!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Yuu-Chan and Bibi-Chan said...

That's a lovely story, sweet Velcro!

Woofs,
Tommy

Josie said...

Hi Velcro! Your name is perfect for you!!! LOL...we Cattle Dogs are soooooo velcro-ish! I get teary every time I read about you at the shelter, but I know you were there for a reason, and that is God knew your future Mum would be looking for a doggy there and so now you gals are family! So awesome! Love, Josie (My Mum named me after Mt. Josephine, which is on the way to Thunder Bay, Ontario where I was born.)

Deefor said...

Great story about your name. I always wondered where you got it. It's a perfect name.

Deefor

The Thundering Herd said...

What a great story. Isn't it funny how humans are a little slow to realize that we have picked them as our forever home. We guess the name just "stuck".