Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ceilidh's visit to the Animal Emergency Referral Center

I've lost 2 cats in 2 months, so when Ceilidh punctured my asthma inhaler last nite after I got home from work, I about lost it! All I heard was an boom and she raced into my room and under the bed. I coaxed her out from under the bed and onto the bed and she appeared ok, so I went back to the living room. Thats when she came in and she was making noises breathing. I felt her chest and her heart rate was FAST! Felt like her heart was going to jump out of her chest!

I called the pet emergency, and was out the door with all of the dogs in tow around 9:45pm. She was taken into the back immediately and her vitals were taken. I authorized them to call Poison Control. After which they told me her heart rate was 220 and her blood pressure was high. They also wanted to check her Potassium and Phosphorus levels-poison control had told them to watch out for these levels to drop!

She ended up spending the nite at the pet emergency. I had a really hard time going to sleep. I called at 2am, 5 am and 8:30am and each call I was told she had been given a drug to drop her heart rate and that her heart rate was slowly coming down.

10:30am - HR 220
2:00am - HR between 190-200 and she was given a beta blocker
5:00am - HR between 190-200 higher dose of the beta blocker was given
9:00am - HR between 150-180, she was quietly resting and had eaten a 1/2 jar of chicken baby food

I picked her up at 10:30 and transferred her to my vet where she will spend the day being observed, her HR checked again. Her blood work was taken again at 9am and her Potassium and Phosphorus were back within the normal levels, YEAH!!!

I'm so glad she made it thru the nite!!! When I left, I had to sign a CPR code to allow the pet emergency to do whatever means possible to save her life in the case of cardiac arrest. That was the hardest thing to sign! I cried while signing it!

She's just a little over 1 year old and has a MAJOR oral fixation to things that are bad for her!!!! I'm just so glad she is on the mend!!!!

18 comments:

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Oh, my goodness. What a scare! So glad she is okay. Never thought of a dog puncturing an inhaler.

Elyse and Riley said...

I've been following the situation on FB, but glad to read more details about the whole ordeal. So scary! I wouldn't have thought of dogs getting into inhalers either.

I know what you mean about signing the CPR form...I had to either choose CPR or DNR for Riley a couple of weeks ago when she went in for her knee surgery. It really puts things into perspective.

Glad Ceilidh is doing okay and hopefully she'll be back home in no time and back to her same old self!

Elyse and Riley

Kari in Vegas said...

Oh my that all must have been super scary. Glad to hear she's feeling better!

Stop on my for a visit
Kari
Dogisgodinreverse.com

Raising Addie said...

OMG!!!

We are soooooooooooooo thankful that she is ok! I would have been crying too if I had to sign one of those CPR forms.

You are an AWESOME mom!

BIG hugs to you all.

Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie, Lucie and Hailey

Shawn said...

Thank God for a happy ending!

Blessings,
Shawn, Winston, Chloe and Cecil

River said...

It sounds like she is getting better but what a scary thing to have happen!
We wish her the best--she is young enough to recover well, thank goodness.

love & wags,
River

Annie said...

Sending you all hugs. Really wish we were closer at times like this.

Give every furry a big old hug from me & Jonathan.

Annie

Hero said...

I'm so glad to hear that she's on the mend! Phoebe still thinks everything she finds needs to be gnawed on or eaten so your story really hits home for us. Keep us updated on her progress and let her know that we're thinking of her.

petdoginsurance said...

Thank you for posting. Visit www.petsitting.com for your pet sitting needs.
Dog walkers Seattle

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-Chan, Vidock said...

We're so glad the little one is OK!

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Soooooooooooo glad Velcro's lil sis is ok! What a nightmare!

Josie said...

So glad she's on the mend! Thank goodness for the awesome vets!! Hope everybody stays healthy now!

Sam said...

Sending you hugs! We are so sorry, we are sure she will be fine though.

Sam

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

We finally had the chance to get here to read this -

SKHARY !

But so glad all is well NOW!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

The Thuglets said...

Crikey..what a scare. How is Ceilidh now?
So sorry to hear of the sad loss of your two cats.

Big Nose Pokes
The THugletsx

petdoginsurance said...

Useful info. Thank you for sharing. Visit www.petsitting.com for your pet sitting needs.
Dog walking Dallas

bbes tribe said...

Holy Criminy!! That sounds very scary and we are very glad to hear she is improving. Never thought of something like that happening. She much have very sharp little teeth..
Wags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica,Lucas

zedon said...

If you have an older dog, there are orthopedic beds specifically made for large breeds that can help them feel more contented when they suffer from arthritis and other aches and pains. There are also waterproof dog beds for large dogs if your dog has problems with incontinence or if you live in snowy or rainy weather and don't want to worry about bed stains.